Friday, 2 June 2017

Yarn Challenge 2017

Earlier this year, I set myself a challenge.  
I decided not to buy any yarn until I had used up what I already had.  
None.  
Not one bargain ball. 
 Zilch.

I'm been mostly making blankets, gifts and charity items and my mother-in-law has been busily knitting squares for me to sew into more blankets.  I've always been a bargain-hunter, including yarn purchases, so inevitably, I have ended up with loads of oddments and discontinued colours, etc.  


Try to ignore the dishevelled mess in this box of pastel shades....






The box of dodgy colour choices...





Oddments of chunky yarns...






Miscellaneous "stuff"...





Unsurprisingly, more oddments of strange colour choices...





I also have another plastic box and a deep drawer full of oddments of yarn.  
I know.  
It's that fine line between frugal squirraling and absolute insanity. 
 A lot of the yarns were bought online, so I couldn't really tell exactly what the shades were like until I opened the parcel. 
 "Oh."

In between the mad acrylic yarn purchases, I also treated myself to "posher" yarns for making gifts, or a nice scarf, here and there.  To me a posh yarn is anything with actual wool in it, so I include sock yarns in this category!  Being a tetchy sock knitter, I am using it to crochet shawls...


This pattern is super-easy (thank goodness), and is available HERE for free!  The pattern uses DK yarn, but I like using up my 4ply for a smaller biker-scarf shawl.

On the one hand, it is super-satisfying to be using up all my oddments, and on the other it is a bit of a chore using colours I don't like.  I know how shallow that sounds.  I endeavour to buy more wisely in the future!

So, I am continuing to ignore the myriad of email temptations that I receive almost daily from the various wool emporiums, and trying hard NOT to think about the 30% off offers when Black Friday comes.  Unless of course, I manage to use up all my stash by then...

Happy Friday, friends! xxx



8 comments:

  1. Good girl! I don't have a huge stash. I just have LOTS of UFOs. I love to watch certain videos on YouTube where the hosts talk about wool and patterns and actually finishing things. It's a fantasy world!
    It's so nice to have you back. You're fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I know what you mean. I'm trying to resist the urge to start another blanket before I finish the shawl. Must not give in!! :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina, yarn is such a temptation 😉 I think any kind of product that we love really.
    For me it is fiber to spin into yarn and fabric to sew. But your challenge is just wonderful. 😊 I know you will succeed! So good to visit you again 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, Mari! And thank you for the encouragement! :) xxx

      Delete
  4. Hi Tina!
    So nice to see you again!
    I like the color of the yarn for your biker-scarf shawl. Very nice.
    Looking forward to visiting with you again.
    Blessings,
    Anne♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Anne! Lovely to see you too! xxx

      Delete
  5. I'm glad I'm not the only one! I have stash AND UFO's!!

    I think you have more willpower than me... xx

    ReplyDelete